Nidhi's Blog

Friday, September 08, 2006

Why do 'bad shots' remain and the good ones seem to vanish?

(Quote: The simple explanation is that our brains memorize passageways from stimulus to response at nearly imperceivable speeds. What is also obvious is that once the electro-chemical coding takes place and becomes entrenched, it is very hard to dislodge.)

(Quote: Unfortunately, the golf swings of most amateurs are not repetitive enough to make this happen. You're better off controlling your mind, where golf really takes place. - Golf Chick)

These two observations, one scientific and the other very practical, explain why we face such an uphill task while trying to perfect our swings and play a decent game of golf!

We are constantly cautioned by our spiritual gurus about being under a delusion, they use the term 'Brameh!' and we hear it often as they try to guide us through life and its tribulations!

I am sure all us have our own pet delusions! One of the first mantras I heard was to remember only the good swings I made. With this in my mind, I used to stop practicing with a club, as soon as I got one good result! I hoped that my brain would store it for me permanently. Invariably, a good swing was a rare occurrence and after hacking away at many balls on the range! The net result as you can guess, was that the brain did not recall this particular one on the golf course, where it was needed most! (I assume the brain had to work through a whole bunch of electro-chemical codes and could not locate it soon enough!)

I had also been advised not to use the driver as it was tough club to master for a beginner. While on the golf course I once accidentally picked up the driver, I thought what the heck, and just drove. Amazingly my first drive sans any practice is still my best! Obviously, I did not practice with my driver for a while and swung it only on the course, with very predictable results. I know it is better to use a 3 wood on the Tee, but it is not easy to give up trying the driver again(and again)!

I also remember the day when I had a great golf shot on a par 3 hole. Later, when the caddie gave me a 3-iron, I declined and asked for a 4 iron. Told him that I had never used a 3 iron so far! He acted surprised and said I had just used it on the last par 3! Well I did try it again and as you can guess the ball went nowhere! Ignorance is bliss sometimes!

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home