Nidhi's Blog

Thursday, May 25, 2006

Some facts about Golf





You will be pleased to know that I have qualified for this award even though no one has actually given it to me!







I think it is time to educate the non-golfers who I hope are still hitting my blog with some facts and figures about golf.

Dictionary definition (source to be checked!)

golf (gŏlf, gôlf) n.
A game played on a large outdoor course with a series of 9 or 18 holes spaced far apart, the object being to propel a small, hard ball with the use of various clubs into each hole with as few strokes as possible.

I came across this (thanks to Kyle Hallberg of the PurePoint Golf System) and it should gladden the hearts of most of us Amateurs.

  • There are roughly 27 million golfers in the world.
  • Their average gross score: 107 shots. (Normal par score is 72 shots.)
  • Eighty percent of the golfers do not achieve a handicap of less than 18.(Source: Revista golf international. November 2000)

I notice that the Bench marking was done before I started golf, but I am certain my contribution would not have pushed the average any higher!

The aim is to play as few shots per round as possible. Scores for each hole is described below:

-3 Three strokes under par is called an albatross (double-eagle): an impossibility for me.

-2 Two strokes under par is known as an eagle: a miracle if it happens.

-1 One stroke under par is a Birdie: which does happen once in a blue moon.

0 Equal to par is called a par or even: I hope to make at least once in a round of golf.

+1 One stroke more than par is a bogey: will be quite happy with this.

+2 Two strokes over par is a double bogey: happens more often than I care to admit.

+3 Three strokes over par is a triple bogey: we come home totally upset if there are too many.

I have one more which is not offcially recognised: 'double' which to me is double the par score.

Origin of Bogey appears to be Sanskrit. One who reaps a due reward?

Experts speak of the front nine and the back nine scores. Apparently they have found that some of us are better in the first nine and the others do well in the back nine. I suppose it feels good to say that 'I had a better back nine' instead of ' I had a miserable day!'. At our level we even talk of 3 good holes in a row and feel excited about it. We say 'If only I had continued with the fantastic run I had in the begining, I had two bogeys and a par'. Basically we have found ways to console ourselves.

The distances are not equal for all the eighteen holes, some are shorter and you are given 3 strokes to have a par score. A few are par 5 holes and the rest are par4. It adds variety to the game and also enables us to say I do better in par 5's, I can always count on par 3's and so on.

Those of you who are looking for more 'gyan' or knowledge can check it out on 'wikipedia'

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home